Monday, July 24, 2017

It is Finished


Two years ago.........I walked slowly off the plane as everyone was filing out. Carry-on in
hand, we all walked almost aimlessly as we looked for the baggage claim. 
Following the crowd, I eventually got my two pieces of luggage and wandered my way to customs. We all moved our way to the line that looked never ending. 
Thoughts racing through my mind of what to expect, 
I start to notice everyone around me and realize I am very much the odd one out. 
White shirt, tie, and a suit. 
Unsure of my true purpose, I finally grasp that I am a missionary. 
The only missionary in sight. 
Thoughts of having to be able to talk to random people about
something so special to my family begins to overwhelm me. 
I push the thoughts aside, then realizing there is a 3 person gap in front of me.
I grab my luggage and move 3 steps closer to the unknown.
Processed and cleared, 
I grab my last luggage off of the X-ray machine and move towards the
only doors that look plausible to go through. 
Maneuvering through the over crowded airport I see an
Hispanic man holding a sign that says "MTC." 
I wasn't sure if that meant something different in Spanish
but I sure knew what that meant in English. 
So I made my way to him. He enthusiastically shook my hand and began speaking to me in Spanish while pointing to a place where I could sit down. 
Understanding nothing he was saying I sat down. 
Then he took my luggage and walked off returning to his original location
holding the MTC sign. 
I looked around and found myself alone again.
Surrounded by many but feeling unimportant to all.
This was the beginning of an unknown road that I knew God needed me to take. 
Trails faced, lessons learned, experiences had, friends made,
there are so many things that God has helped me do and experience.
Serving as a full-time missionary has been one of the greatest things
I have been able to do in my life. 
The satisfaction of focusing all of my efforts on learning important truths, teaching the gospel, and
helping any person I see is so amazing! 
My perception of what a mission was going to be like was completely wrong
when I came out on my mission. 
And I'm glad it was wrong because the mission was so much 
more!
Very soon I will be entering another airport. 
Except for this time, I know my purpose. I am a child of God. 
I know that I am loved by Him even when I am amongst hundreds of strangers and 
I feel as if I am lost in the crowd. 
No matter how alone you feel or how far you have
been wandering there is always someone waiting for you to lead you in the right direction. 
When you receive the guidance you need you may
not understand fully, but doubt not and act. 
He will always lead you safely to where you belong.

You all are amazing and I thank you for all of the support you have given me. 
I love my Savior and I love my mission. 
As Friday arrives I will be ready to dive right in and love my new life.

Love you all and I will see you on the flip side!   Elder Odland


No comments:

Post a Comment