Monday, September 21, 2015

Elder Bagley and Elder Odland - New Companions


MOSIAH  Chapter 24  Verse 14

14.  And I will also ease the burdens which are put upon your shoulders,
that even you cannot feel them upon your backs, even while you are in bondage; and
this will I do that ye may stand as witnesses for me hereafter, and that ye
may know of a surety that I, the Lord God, do visit my people in their afflictions.


Hola....
I'm now back in the states. While the Mexico Missionary Training Center was absolutely fabulous...it is good to be home again.
My first area is in the Kaw River area in Kansas just a short distance from Missouri. It encompasses Kansas City and a big area outside of the "city" as well. This area of town is a bit rough and I was a little afraid of going tracting! But as I've been here a few days I've come to find that it isn't too bad and the people haven't given us any trouble:)
Our apartment is actually pretty big! We have a bedroom, an office, a living room, a dining area and a tiny kitchen. Oh yea and a bathroom :p
So it's super roomy and its a good home. :D    I enjoy it.
The outside halls have the smell of cigarettes but inside smells clean and fresh.  :)

My new companion is Elder Bagley! He's an awesome guy. He has been teaching me a lot since I've arrived and he has only been out in the field for 6 weeks! He was leaving the MTC right as I got there! But he is awesome and he knows what he is doing so I am in good hands.  :) 

So about my ward, it is a Spanglish ward.  :D  ....which I am so happy for haha! And my area is one of the most Spanish speaking areas in my mission, so it's a good place to start!
Everyone in my ward is awesome! Sacrament meeting is in English, which I am thankful for, so I can understand what everyone is saying. :D  Sunday one of the speakers didn't show up so they asked if I could share a little bit about myself and talk about why I came on a mission. So that was a cool experience.  I enjoyed it.  :)
Sunday School and Priesthood classes are all in Spanish. I didn't understand everything that was said but I got the gist of what they were teaching.  :) I met so many awesome people there!
After church we went to visit a lady in our apartment building that we had an appointment with, but she wouldn't open the door... It was supposed to be our first lesson with her but I guess she changed her mind. But that's okay, she has her agency.
I read in a talk this week that said, "It doesn't matter how many people turn you away, it just matters how many people accept your message." And that we should not be afraid to talk to everyone we possibly can. And we mustn't be afraid of being rejected, because if we are, then we will miss people that are ready to hear the Gospel of Jesus Christ.   I really liked that talk and it helped me with my shyness in talking to strangers. :)  
After leaving the lady's place we went to dinner with the Giona family, and they were awesome! We had chili dogs :). It brought back great memories of the chili dogs we would have at home cooked over the BBQ pit on days after working hard in the yard or cutting firewood.
After dinner we tracked their area for a little while but didn't find anyone at home. So from there we went and visited two ladies that are in the hospital and I had my first opportunity to give a blessing! It was a little short but I did my best:)  I'm sure the Lord understood all that was in my heart.
We then talked with them for a little while and helped them with a few things they needed. It was then 9pm so we headed home:)

The missionary life is awesome, we live to help others:) It makes me feel good when I can help someone that is in need!:)  

Till next time.
Adios...Elder Odland







No comments:

Post a Comment